WPAL YOUTH RUGBY
Rugby is a favorite South African sport.
Westporter Steve Perkins was born there and wanted to find a club here for his son.
Deputy Police Chief Sam Arciola and Westport police officer Ned Batlin helped Steve organize a rugby program, through the Westport PAL.
Westport’s Parks & Recreation Department also helped.
Staples High School head rugby coach David Lyme has helped the program grow into 3 teams:
Under 10 (non-contact), and U-12 and U-14 (full contact). Very quickly, the young Westporters have become formidable ruggers.
They’ll feed into the Staples program, which currently fields 4 teams for nearly 100 players.
In the photo above, Steve’s son Ari Perkins (blue) battles Aspetuck, in U-14 action at Wakeman Field.
Hat tip: to Dan Woog for this coverage of WPAL Rugby
Where Westport meets the world
• Due to safe tackling procedures, rugby is a safe sport, fun and the ultimate in a team experience
• Kids grade 4 and below will play rookie rugby which is a non-contact and continuous motion
• Rugby teaches respect and good sportsmanship
• Our youth head coach, David Lyme is also Staples High school Rugby Head Coach,
which now has four teams, more than any other sport!
• Join the youth rugby program and be a part of growing rugby in Westport from the ground up.
Additional Registration Information
• USA Rugby: After signing up, parents will need to register their children with USA Rugby (CIPP fees for insurance),
the governing body of rugby in the USA. This is $25 for the U12/U14 children ("Youth Player"),
and $5 for the U10s and below ("Rookie Rugby"). Register under the Westport PAL Rugby club
• Safety: Headgear ("Scrum caps") and mouth guards will be compulsory for all players.
You can see examples of scrum caps on Amazon if you search for "Rugby Head Gear" or "Rugby Scrum Caps" and
the brands are Barnett, Elite Tek, Cantebury amongst others
Although rugby is indeed a competitive contact sport, it is a safe sport. If you happen to be concerned about your child playing this sport without helmets and pads,
you should be aware that initially, we will be focusing on the rules of the game and what better way to learn than by playing Rookie Rugby
Rookie Rugby, (touch rugby), is USA Rugby's brand of flag rugby! It is designed to give players a fun, safe, and exciting rugby experience.
The rules are simple, the game is easy to learn and minimal equipment is needed!
Rookie Rugby is the non-contact version of rugby that has been developed for schools and communities to introduce their young athletes to a fun sport!
Play is free-flowing and continuous, with running, passing, and scoring!
Flag or two hand touch may be used, Rookie Rugby is designed for boys of all ages, and curriculums have been created for different age groups.
Rookie Rugby promotes TEAMWORK, HEALTH and FITNESS, excellent SKILL, and FUN!!
Athlete Benefits of Rookie Rugby: Emphasis on continuous activity Promotes health and wellness teaches respect for self and others
- Enhances motor skill development Encourages good sportsmanship